Friday 3 September 2010

Nurturing good readers

I was asked my the SLA to write an article on what school librarians do and what we were looking for as judges of the school librarian of the year award. The article was published in Book Brunch today!
Ingrid Hopson, SLA School Librarian of the Year 2007 and a member of the judging panel for this year's award, explains why schools need librarians and what the judges were looking for when they selected this year’s Honour List (BookBrunch story)

You ask: what do school librarians do?

I answer: we help our pupils become better learners.

Libraries exist not as collections of resources but as places that foster creativity and independent thought. We cannot know what the world will be like for our pupils when they reach adulthood, but we can prepare them for their future.
Read more...
 I do not really like doing this sort of stuff as I am always worried what people will think of it!

Not sure if anyone I know will even see it as you have to register to read the articles

 

No comments: